Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Vox Blogoli VI

I am responding to the challenge at www.hughhewitt.com regarding the Newsweek article questioning the historical accuracy of the virgin birth of Christ. I am not a Bible scholar although I am a lifelong Christian. I found this wonderful article that I do think is a great defense of the virgin birth.

In the Newsweek article, the author Meacham speaks of early Christians as "superstitious and backward." I think this explains a lot of the article. Meacham sees evangelical Christians of today as the same, not sophisticated like he and his elite media crowd.

The author then talks about Mary having an adulterous affair with Panthera (a soldier) written by someone named Celsus. He questions the accuracy of the gospel writers and quotes someone named Celsus. How many people are familiar with the gospels versus someone named Celsus?

I don't want to make this too long, but it is my view that the reason for this story is to cast doubt on the Christian faith during the Christmas season. While this author claims to be a Christian, this article shows his cynicism.