Saturday, September 20, 2008

Rush on Sarah Palin

RUSH: By the way, do you know why Bill Clinton said that we shouldn't underestimate Palin, is out there complimenting her? He wants a date. He wants a date. He's setting the stage for a date. Sarah Palin yesterday, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, pouncing on Biden's comment that it's patriotic to pay more taxes.

PALIN: Our opponents, they have some strange ideas about raising taxes. To them, raising taxes, and Joe Biden said it again today, raising taxes is about patriotism. To the rest of America, that's not patriotism. Raising taxes is about killing jobs and hurting small businesses and making things worse. This isn't about anyone's patriotism. It's about Barack Obama's poor judgment.

RUSH: All right, hubba hubba hubba. She's always on message. You know what, brevity is the soul of wit. You know what she does? She just simplifies everything. She brings it down to the basic so everybody knows, understands what he's talking about. It's an amazing thing. Politicians want us to think that they have these highly complex jobs, require convoluted answers to straightforward questions.

And even when we're given these answers we are to unsophisticated and ignorant of their important jobs to understand exactly what all they have to do. This, of course, is why we couldn't have term limits. Sarah Palin's straightforward answers about her management style, about her view of why elected officials serve, who they serve, that's a threat. Her simplicity, her ability to make the complex understandable is what makes her a threat to the Washington establishment.

I mean, she sounds a little naive only because she's straightforward! She doesn't have all the gobbledygook political-speak that these other guys run around with, as I often note, brevity is the soul of wit. And it's also the essence of effective communication. She doesn't have a convoluted answer as to why she sought elected office.

Ask your average politician, "Why do you want to be president? Why did you want to represent your district?" Well, I've seen so much suffering and I wanted to give my time, my country has been so wonderful to me, and I wanted to pay something back, I wanted to give something back, I wanted to go up there and I wanted to make a difference because I care about the people and I care about the country," and on and on and on, flowery lingo.

She said, "Because the PTA was screwed up, my kids' schools was a mess and I needed to fix it." And then she kept climbing the ladder. Palin then went through -- this is Cedar Rapids yesterday -- went throughout list of Obama-Biden proposed tax increases.